If you are a junior or senior in high school, you are able to apply to the Dual Credit program at UNM.

However, though most Albuquerque area high schools participate in the program, not every school does. Check with your high school counselor to see if your particular school participates with the UNM program.

For each 3 credits you earn at UNM, you earn 1 high school elective credit.

Some high schools will even allow certain UNM classes to count towards their high school core classes. Contact your high school counselor to see if this is something your high school does.

Usually UNM students have to pay Tuition and Fees. There is a difference between Tuition and Fees.

  • Tuition is purely the cost of classes.
  • Fees are extra costs that don’t come with the classes (ex: computer lab fees or studios fees). These differ depending on the courses you take.

As a Dual Credit student, you are not responsible for tuition, but you are responsible for any fees.

Applications take approximately 7 business days to process, depending on the season you turned it in. If yours has taken longer than 10 business days, please email the Dual Credit Coordinator at dualcredit@unm.edu.

Registration typically takes place the week before the semester begins.  Dual Credit students must wait to be registered for courses until after all of our degree-seeking students have had a chance to register first.  Once we open registration for Dual Credit students, the Dual Credit Coordinator will register students for their requested course(s) in the order by which their applications were approved.  Dual Credit students do not register for courses on their own.  It is always done by the Dual Credit Coordinator on behalf of the student.

PLEASE NOTE: Admission to the Dual Credit Program does not guarantee registration for courses.  Oftentimes, courses a student originally requested are full by the time we open registration for students.  This is why we recommend students provide a list of back-up courses at the time they submit an application.

The Concurrent Enrollment Hold is an automatic hold that happens when you become a Dual Credit student at UNM. The hold does not get removed. It is there so that the Dual Credit Coordinator can sign you up for classes.

General Education empowers students to face a rapidly changing world with the ability to frame questions and solve problems. Complementing the major, gened courses provide a set of strategies: communication, critical thinking, information analysis, quantitative skills, responsibility towards local and global communities. In many gened courses, students address urgent problems directly through undergraduate research, race and social justice analysis, global awareness, community engagement, and innovation. By providing a base of knowledge and flexible tools for thinking, gened courses equip students for success throughout their education and after graduation.

Students can choose ten classes (31 credits numbered at the 1000- and 2000-levels), or at least one three- or four-credit course in each of eight areas of study.

Exploring different gened areas can be a great college strategy to find out what really interests you. Or, if you have a major in mind, your advisor can help you identify some courses to help you prepare for your next steps. Either way, browsing the course descriptions in areas of study will help you find courses that take you to unexpected places.

The courses approved for enrollment on the master agreement between your high school/district and UNM Albuquerque/Main includes General Education courses.. A minimum grade of C (not C-) is needed to satisfy the General Education requirement. Please note: UHON courses on the UNM General Education are not approved on any dual credit master agreement.

NEW Students: If it is your first semester in the dual credit program at UNM, you may take one course.
Returning Students: If your UNM GPA is between a 2.49 and 2.99, you may take one course.
Returning Students: If your UNM GPA is at a 3.0 or higher, you may take two courses.  During the last semester of your senior year, if all high school graduation requirements (with the exception of electives) are complete you may take up to four courses.

To view your class schedule:

  • Log onto LoboWeb
  • In the “Student” tab, click on “Registration & Records”
  • Choose one of the different options under “Student Schedule” (there are many different ways to view your schedule, such as “weekly schedule”, or “detailed schedule”)

Your UNM ID Number is the 9-digit number the Dual Credit Coordinator gives you in your welcome email.

Your Net ID is the part that’s in front of your UNM email address. For example, if your email address is lobo@unm.edu then your Net ID would be lobo. You’ll need your Net ID to enter into important websites, such as UNM Learn and LoboWeb.

Check out the “Resources” tab to find more information on these websites.

The NextGen Accuplacer is only one of several ways a student can place into a course.  The NextGen Accuplacer itself is not required.  However, some form of placement is required for most courses at UNM.  When you meet with your academic advisor, they will review with you what forms of placement you may already have and can use to be placed in the courses they recommend for your intended major.  If you do not have any course placement tools already and/or would like to challenge where you have been placed, your advisor will likely recommend you take UNM's Lobo Course Placement Tool.

It depends.

  • If you are not taking a math or English course, then you do not have to submit your scores.
  • If you are taking a math or English course, then you do need your SAT/ACT scores to place you into a class. If you have not yet taken the SAT/ACT, you can take the Accuplacer exam at UNM Testing. Please note that you must have a UNM ID number to take the Accuplacer exam. Therefore, you must have already been accepted as a Dual Credit student before you can take the Accuplacer.

If you are failing a class, you have a couple options:

  • Discuss your grade with your professor (this option is highly recommended). They may be able to work with you.
  • You may drop the class. Discuss this option with the Dual Credit Coordinator to fully understand what dropping a class means and what the consequences are.
  • The university drop deadline will be followed each semester.

Your Dual Credit Coordinator is the only person who can drop you from a course, or make any changes. Talk to your coordinator if you are thinking about dropping a course.

Please note that there are deadlines by which you can drop a class. To find those deadlines, go to registrar.unm.edu and click on the “Semester Deadline Dates” tab.

No. Your professors will not know if you are a Dual Credit student or not. They will think of you and treat you as any other student.

Dual credit students must reapply every semester.

Students should be enrolled in one-half or more of the required course work at the student’s high school.

Students should check with their high school counselors to see which classes will apply towards their high school graduation.

No. Even if you did Dual Credit in high school, you must still apply to get into UNM. Visit admissions.unm.edu to find more information on applying.

Yes. UNM has its own orientation for freshmen students that’s completely different than the Dual Credit online orientation.

Yes. Any grades that you receive will permanently be on your transcript. If you’re worried about a grade in one of your classes, discuss your options with your Dual Credit Coordinator as soon as you can.

CAPS is a really great resource for all students looking for tutoring. They offer a variety of tutoring services, including individual appointments, online tutoring, drop-in labs, workshops, and more. Though their main location is on the third floor of Zimmerman library, they have other locations around campus. Visit caps.unm.edu to find the specific service and location you’re looking for.

Remember that you always can go into your professor’s office hours and get individual help, as well.

  1. A complete application packet is submitted by the deadline posted on the website.  A complete application consists of the Major & Career Interest Form, UNM Dual Credit Application Form, NM Dual Credit Request Form, an official high school transcript, and, if applicable, official transcripts from other colleges/universities outside of UNM.
  2. Processing takes about 5-7 business days (may take longer during peak time) after the complete packet has been sent to UNM Admissions to match with online application and transcripts.
  3. If admitted:
    1. Concurrent Enrollment hold is placed on all admitted student accounts.
    2. Students are sent a Welcome Email to the email address provided on their application.
    3. Students complete the steps outlined in the Welcome email, including completion of the Online Dual Credit Orientation.
    4. The Dual Credit Coordinator will begin registering students for the semester on the date registration opens for dual credit students. Any changes are to be communicated via email to dualcredit@unm.edu.
    5. Once a student is registered for their course(s), they will recieve an email outlining next steps and where/how to view any charges incurred that must be paid by the student (course fees).
  4. If not admitted:
    1. The student will receive an email stating the reasons the application was not accepted.
    2. Common reasons an application is not accepted:
      1. Missing information provided
      2. Missing documents (transcripts, etc.)
      3. GPA does not meet the minimum GPA requirement
      4. Student does not meet Junior/Senior standing
      5. Missing signatures on application materials

An advisor would be the best resource in helping you create a degree plan. To reach out to an advisor, make an appointment with the advisor in the major you are interested in through LoboAchieve.

Take a look at degrees.unm.edu to find a degree program that follows your career pathway. Dual Credit students can take courses that are part of our General Education Curriculum, and we recommend taking a class that you are interested in and that follows your career pathway.

Visit gened.unm.edu for a listing and description of courses.

Dual Enrollment Dual enrollment students are high school students who are enrolled at both UNM and their high school in the same semester.  They are admitted as non-degree students for one semester at a time.  Dual enrollment students can be either dual credit and/or concurrent enrollment students depending on their individual circumstances.

Dual Credit Dual credit students are dual enrollment students who earn both high school and college credit for the courses taken under the UNM Dual Credit Program.  

  • NM high school students enrolled in NM public schools, private schools, charter schools, bureau of Indian education school, or who are registered with the state as a home school student.
  • The student’s high school must have an approved and current Master Agreement in place with the HEI. (exception: home school students)
  • Master Agreement includes an Appendix that lists all the courses the dual credit student from that school is allowed to take
  • Tuition and general fees are waived
  • Students are responsible to pay course fees 

Concurrent Enrollment Concurrent enrollment students are dual enrollment students who only earn college credit through the courses taken.

  • High school students from out of state
  • NM high school students who wish to take a course outside of the courses listed in the Appendix of the approved Master Agreement
  • NM high school students who attend a high school that does not have a current Dual Credit Master Agreement in place with HEI
  • Responsible for paying all tuition and fees for all courses taken